Old Railway Stations of the Santiago-Coruña Line

Old Railway Stations of the Santiago-Coruña Line

The Santiago de Compostela-A Coruña’s section was, in 1943, the first stretch to be inaugurated in the Zamora-Coruña’s line, also known as “Directo de Galicia”.
The passengers station typology is, at the very least, curious, as there isn't a common and structured design for the buildings, as it was the norm, and because the different styles in use can only be traced back, aesthetically speaking, to stations such as that of Azpeitia and others located on the País Vasco.
The interventions on the line's layout to comprise the denominated Atlantic Axis, already on the twenty-first century, accounted for the closure of many of the old stations, that nowadays have become a sample of reuse for this type of building, a matter that is often very complex, mainly due to their location and the dimensions. For instance, the station of Ordes-A Pontraga has been perfectly conserved, and is used for the municipal services of the City Hall. That of Uxes is a hotel establishment ("Vagonetas") and in that of Meirama it was planned to locate a Mining Museum of Cerceda, taking advantage of the link between the railway, the Thermal Power Station and the mining industry (nowadays in the process of replacing the empty space with water, as in the case of As Pontes de García Rodríguez).

Access

From Ordes’s urban area, take the AC-5903 to the south until reaching the station, located around three kilometres away from the settlement between the railroad and the Lengüelle River.